Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Canadian Nationals begin in Edmonton March 21


The 8th Canadian National Wheelchair Curling Championships are due to begin at the Jasper Place CC in Edmonton Alberta on Monday March 21, running through Sunday March 27.

I have begun to receive emails asking whether the website and blog will be covering the event. As of today neither the CCA nor the organisers have contacted me about establishing a permanent record of the daily events as I have been doing since 2006.

National Championships involving 50 plus wheelchairs are expensive and a hassle to organise and I am sure that everyone involved is working hard to make the event itself a success. There is a Championship section on the CCA's website where you can download the draw schedule, and I am told they will also record the scores.

As for coverage here, I will do what I can with whatever information I can gather. You can help.

If you are on a participating team, please send me a team photo, preferably with your coach and in your provincial jackets, and give me the names and positions of the people in the photo. If you don't yet have a photo, at least send me the names and positions of the people on the team. If you can supply a sentence or two of biographical information, so much the better.

If you know someone who is competing, ask them if their team has sent me information.

If you are attending the event. email me any reports and impressions or anything you think may be of interest to a generally well-informed blog and website audience.

If you take photos of the event that you can share, upload them to dropulous.com and email me the link so I can access them. That is a better method than attaching them to an email. Please add names to photos.

The website has a fairly detailed archive of major wheelchair curling events going back to 2006, and with your help the Edmonton Championship can be added to it.

Any sport deserves a permanent record, something that has not always been considered a priority by those organizing it. It is not my record, it is your record. Until someone else steps up, I'll continue to do what I can, with your help.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I can assure you the local organizers are working extra hard right now to ensure everything at this year's championship runs smoothly and the event it a success! The CCA and I will be handling with online and social media during the games and fully intend to keep everyone in the loop about what is happening.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to video stream or live blog the games online. However, we hope we are able to update CurlCast under the guidance of the CCA, so the scores and statistics should be available live. You should be able to follow that from the official CCA website during the event.

We will be posting a daily blog post to the CCA website to update all the scores and action. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter to get scores, news, photos and behind the scenes insights.

CCAcurling Twitter: http://twitter.com/ccacurling
11Wheelies Twitter: http://twitter.com/11Wheelies
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/2011-Canadian-Wheelchair-Curling-Championships/148684388511472
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=115727068501947

Additionally, once our souvenir program is published we will be able to send you a digital copy so you will have team photos and information. Our photographer will be working under the guidelines of the CCA so there will definitely be photographs of all of the action. As with everything, we ask that you respect copyright and credit sources or ask the various photographers or reporters for permission to use their photos or written work on your website.

Thanks for archiving all of the information Eric. You've done a great job of promoting wheelchair curling!