Monday, October 5, 2009

Armstrong back on the ice

Team Canada skip Jim Armstrong is getting back on the ice as he rehabs the surgically repaired shoulder that was further stressed in a car crash. "The accident probably set me back a couple of weeks physically, though of course there has been a lot of family stuff as well.

"We had a wonderful celebration of (late wife) Carleen's life ten days ago," he told me this morning just before leaving for practice at the Richmond CC. "And yesterday 106 people were part of Team Momma Armstrong at the CIBC Run For The Cure. It took several of them, but they pushed me round the whole course.

"Now I am doing lots of physio to get the shoulder fit, and beginning to throw some stones. I'm thankful to have wheelchair curling to concentrate on after all that has happened this summer.

"I'll be traveling with the team to Norway and Scotland, probably to provide some comic relief. Everyone has been very supportive and understanding that I haven't been able to participate very often in the training camps. I am really impressed with how the team has come together. If you had asked me a year ago whether a selected team could work together as well as this one does, I would have been skeptical. But I think our team spirit will be one of our advantages next March."

Asked his reaction to Sweden coach Tomas Nordin's initial impression that the wheelchair game was very similar to regular curling, Armstrong said: "Tomas is a great curler and very experienced and will do well. But my understanding of the wheelchair game has been a lengthy learning curve and it takes time to appreciate the nuances. Not having the big weight to clean up trouble has to be taken into account, although I suspect that in the future the top teams will develop the ability to throw the 7 or 8 second takeout accurately."

Team Canada will be competing in Norway's Halden International October 16-18 and then Scotland's Kinross International October 20-22.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO GET 'EM, BIG GUY....SHOW THEM ALL THAT YOU'RE BACK!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jim hurting will at least level the playing field....

Anonymous said...

Saw Jim and Darryl throwing today. Jim still looks in pain, but while I watched, he got a 3-ender on Darryl......Look out, he will be back......

Anonymous said...

Jim will be back and stronger than last year.

Remember, he has actually only been approved for play for less than a year

Anonymous said...

Is Jim going to Norway? It sure seems like the poor guy has a lot on his plate right now.

I would be more concerned with having him ready for March

Anonymous said...

i agree. Jim should not be pressured to start this season now. Give him some time, and let him move along at his own time.

Anonymous said...

So is Jim travelling to Norway?

. said...

Jim told me he was going "as much for comic relief of the team as anything else." Gerry Peckham said he would be brought along slowly. My feeling is that he'll benefit from a couple of weeks away just thinking and talking curling, rather than staying home.

Anonymous said...

I do agree, Eric, but the problem will be Jim's competitiveness. I am sure once he is at a competiton, he will be wanting to play. Gerry should send him to Hawaii for a rest, instead.

Anonymous said...

Jim will be ready and able to compete.

Anonymous said...

What a waste of funds,

No player should go unless they are playing or useful to the team.

Sending him along is a watse of funds which coul dbe used for other development.

CAn we risk prolonged rehab or possbile increase in injury.

I say not only is it a waste of funding but a huge risk. No other player would be allowed to go just for the going. They would have been replaced, ask someone like Daw

Jim is not a god nor should he be treated as one, another Gerry buddy being treated with spiecal treatment. Typical CCA!!! Joe and Gerry!!!

. said...

I think it helps the team to have Jim around, whether or not he is throwing. He hasn't been able to work with the team very often since March, and it's time they were together as a unit. He provides a lot more than on-ice throwing, and I think his ticket is a worthwhile expense regardless how much he throws.

. said...

The person who wrote the "waste of funds" comment (above) followed it up with an even more vituperative attack on the integrity of Joe Rea and Gerry Peckham.

Attacking people from the shelter of anonymity is not only obnoxious, juvenile and cowardly, it is also the reason it is necessary for me to moderate the comments.

Anonymous said...

Well then Eric, if the exact same comment was posted but to a named, identified, or known person, would it still be subject to moderation/censorship?

. said...

The purpose of this blog is not to promote ad hominem attacks. Signed comments will be treated with more respect. Trolls are just a waste of time.

I get all sorts of garbage through the blog, none of which provides much of an incentive for me to continue to put in the effort to update it. How much have you contributed to keep the website or blog alive?

I think the reliance on anonymous commentary in Canada's curling forums is unfortunate (actually I think it's pathetic) which is why I switched it off for a while. But if a commentator's purpose is to hide behind anonymity to throw insults then there are other places they can go.