Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Jim Shannon 1946-2009 R.I.P.

Jim Shannon - Team BC skip 
and National Championship silver medalist 2005 and 2006


Jim Shannon, one of the athletes instrumental in establishing wheelchair curling in BC, has died in Vancouver after a long illness. He is survived by his parents Melvin and Beryl Shannon, his daughter Aubrey and his sister Joyce. He was 62.

His daughter said: "Jim was born in Medicine Hat on Sept 26 1946. He grew up in a curling family. He absolutely loved wheelchair curling. He died on January 15 2009. He courageously battled his aliments until the day he died in the hopes of regaining his independence and getting back to the curling rink. He also has been a long time volunteer at Pearson Centre, coordinating the karaoke group there, going on most weekends to involve the residents in his love of karaoke."

A memorial Service will be held from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 21st at George Pearson Hospital, 719 West 59th Avenue, Vancouver. On-line condolences may be expressed at www.schoenings.com or a comment left below.

Jim skipped BC to consecutive silver medals at the 2005 and 2006 National Championships, and was the alternate on the team that won gold at the 2007 Championship even while he had curtailed his time on the ice because of illness.

Team mate Darryl Neighbour credited his start in the sport to Jim. “Jim Shannon inspired me and asked me to come out and try it," he said. Darryl is now playing 3rd for Team Canada.

A fixture at events at the Marpole and Richmond CC, Jim was recognised in 2005 with an award for his service in promoting wheelchair curling.

He will be missed. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only met him a couple times, but laughed everytime I did.

He will be missed by everyone he met!

Rest in peace Jim.

Morgan Perry, newfoundland

Anonymous said...

I'd like to add my condolences to Jim Shannon's family. I played against Jim on a few occasions and recall his skill and appreciation of a good shot played against him.

Anonymous said...

What a loss to our world. I wish I had known about our loss before today. He was such a good, kind and loving man. I first met him at the "Blue Boy" in Vancouver, on a Karaoke night and 'fell in love'. He had me at "hello". I visited him frequently at his apartment and enjoyed many occasions with him at Pearson. He was at great dancer; probably the best dancer I've ever had (even in a wheeelchair). I enjoyed his loving and affection and it was he that didn't allow it to continue. I cry for my loss. My heart goes out to his family and especially his daughter that I heard so much about.
Jim was a great man. I will always have a love for him.

Lorraine

Peter Rinaldi said...

I first met Jim at the College of the North in Prince George in 1963 before the car accident that left him in a wheel chair. Inspite of his handicap, Jim went on to accomplish much in his lifetime. He was awarded the Governer General's Silver award for scholastic achievement in 1970 at the College of New Caledonia in Prince George. Jim obtained a teaching degree at Simon Fraser University. He lived for a number of years in Kamloops and area where he ran a couple of businesses.
We were friends for many years and I will miss him.
P Rinaldi Kamloops

Freshwoods Lady said...

I first met Jim in Prince George shortly after his accident when he came to my rescue after I decided to 'liberate' my mom's car (I was 15!) and drove it a few exciting blocks and ran out of gas right in front of Jim's house! How serendipitous! One of my dear friends - Loretta Filiatrault - went on to become Jim's girlfriend for many years. She was devoted to Jim and being Catholic, sent him twice to Lourdes in France hoping for a miracle. The miracle of walking again never happened of course; but I believe that Jim's miracle was Jim himself. He taught me the very important lesson that handicapped people are just people and deserve every opportunity to pursue their dreams and to be accepted as whole people - in every meaning of that. Of course, anyone who spent anytime at all around Jim knew that they were in for a rolicking good time! Jim and I had many adventures; I last saw him two years ago at Loretta's funeral in Vancouver. I knew he had cancer but I must say, he had never looked better and was in excellent spirits. I will really miss Jim. My love and sympathy goes out to the Shannon family and to Aubrey. Carol Rinaldi-Lattey